Prompts on How to Write a Personal Narrative Essay for Kids
Often the most difficult part of narrative writing especially for children is the starting point. It is difficult to get thoughts to flow when trying to start with the broad instruction to “write a story.” Here is a list of a few prompts that can get those ideas going.
- - Think of a time you went somewhere really neat, like a zoo or museum. Describe how that day went, and what you saw there.
- - Think of a birthday you enjoyed. Write the story of that day. Who was there and what did you do?
- - Think of a time you traveled somewhere. Where did you go? How did you get there?
- - Have you ever been really scared by something? What did you do? Was there someone there to help you?
- - Have you ever broken something that wasn’t yours? How did you handle it? Did you need help?
- - Have you ever meet someone you really admire or who you think is cool? What did you say and what were they like?
- - Have you ever broken or sprained a bone. How did it happen? Who helped you get to doctor?
- - Have you ever gotten lost, perhaps in the store or outside? Describe how it happened and what you did figure out where you were?
- - What is the best place you have ever been on vacation? Where did you go and what did you do there?
- - Write a story about your school. Have you ever gotten in trouble or done something nice?
- - Think of your favorite animal. Now write a story as if you were that animal for the day.
- - Pretend you are grown up and write a story about what you do. Where would you live, what kind of job do you have?
- - Think of a place you want to go and write a story about getting there in a strange way, like by wagon, dog sled, or hot air balloon.
- - Pretend you’re on a ship and it crashes on an island. Tell a story about how you got home.
- - Imagine you are as big as an ant for a day. How would you eat breakfast or get to school?
- - Think of a fairy tale you don’t like. Now rewrite it so that it everything happens the way you want it to.
- - Pretend that you have superpowers and the president needs your help. What does he need you to do and how do you help?