Broaden your ideas for writing a winning essay
Coming up with a winning idea for a good essay can be more challenging that just writing an essay. Without a strong topic, your essay might turn out to be dull. With a strong topic, you might actually have a little fun writing your essay. So, what is a writer to do to pick a great idea to help craft an essay that will earn a top grade, a spot in the college of your choice, or a prize in a contest? Here are a few ideas:
- Use a thesaurus. If you have to write about specific term, you can broaden your ideas by broadening your word choice. Sometimes, it takes looking at new words or revisiting old words to spark a brilliant idea.
- Search essay topics. The Internet is full of creative essay topics. Using the Internet search engines can be similar to working with a brainstorming group. When you can look different ideas, your creative juices get flowing and you might find an idea that you would not have thought of previously.
- Talk to your friends. Some people need to talk in order to deepen their thinking. If you know you need to talk, call a friend that you know will let you simply talk out your ideas. Tell your friend what you need to do because your friend might even be able to help you decide on a brilliant, winning idea.
- Exercise. One of the best ways to get creative is to exercise. It doesn’t matter if you hula-hoop, go for a walk, practice yoga, lift weights, go swimming, or go running, because the adrenaline that you get from the exercise will help you develop fresh ideas. It does not take much, even just a little walk around the block or possibly even a few sit ups and pushups, to get you thinking differently.
- Listen to music. Like exercise, music stimulates creative thinking. It might not be best to listen to extremely loud, busy music, but something inspirational. Classical music has been known to help students perform at a higher level on tests and it can also help students come up with new ideas.
- Chew gum. For many students, chewing gum also stimulates thinking. Open up a piece of gum, pop it in your mouth, sit back, chew, and start to think. Once you get an idea, write it down and then let the rest of the ideas flow onto that paper, too.